Sunday, June 12, 2011

Drilling,Drilling,Drilling!

June 12, 2011
We Finally got around to some drilling on June 5, so there hasn't been much to blog about for the last week. 12 hours a day my life has pretty much looked a lot like this first picture.
Other than going to the Rig floor a few times a day, i haven't seen much else. It is beginning to really cut into my site seeing time. I did have an experience the other day, While i was servicing my equipment there was apparently a 4.0 earthquake nearby that shook our condo (we live on the 7-9th floors of a 9 storey cement building). I must have been really into my work, because it was news to me when i heard about it a couple hours later. The work shack shakes many times a day, because we have a road running 10 feet behind it with all sorts of big trucks, and tractors passing by. I remember the shack shaking at about this time, but just attributed it to a passing tractor or such. http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=224907
I can imagine it is a much scarier experience on the 9th floor with the building moving.
This a picture of the gas station across the street, where 5 or 6 of us meet everyday at 6:30am for a couple $1 cappuccino's (under the big umbrella). 
Behind that building (just to the right) is a small 4 story build. On the 3rd floor is a gym that we have free access to. I have been working out there on a regular basis, and keeping up my running on the treadmill. For those who follow my Nike runs on facebook, i cant update them as i think it is about $30/mb if i turn on my iPhone. A Gym here is not like a gym in Canada. It is kind of like doing hot yoga (or how i imagine hot yoga) there is no air conditioning, or windows that open. So even if you just stand there for 15 minutes you are sweating like you have just finished the iron man. They also don't disinfect or wipe down the equipment, so it sounds like staph infections are a common problem over here. 

I have been trying to get a picture of this guy ever since he drove by me on the first day (it can be rather quick believe it or not), but by the time i have pulled out my cameras he has always been too far away. There are lots of Horses, Donkeys, 3 wheeled truck and even mopeds pulling carts. This one i thought my grandfather would like though, it seems there may be a use for our collection of rototillers after all.

I am a day away from casing break, so i may have a little more exciting adventures in the days that come.

 

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs are well written and Grandpa, Grandma and Brenda and I enjoy seeing what you are up too.

    Now we need a "Day in the Life of a MWD" but you can skip the sleeping and Movie watching parts.

    ReplyDelete